
A lone gunman opened fire in a busy shopping centre in the German city of Munich on Friday evening, killing at least 9 people and sending shoppers running for their lives in the third attack against civilians in Western Europe in eight days.

Authorities told the public to get off the streets as the city – Germany’s third biggest – went into lock down with transport halted and highways sealed off.

Munich Police issued a statement on Twitter that the suspected gunman is dead, having shot himself in the head. It is believed he was the only shooter. Earlier reports suggested there had been three shooters. They later said the suspect was 18 years old.

A police spokesman said there was no immediate indication that it was an Islamist attack but it was being treated as a terrorist incident.

The motive for the attack was unclear.
The shooting, which left 21 injured, including three seriously, began just after 6 p.m. in a McDonald’s restaurant in the mall.

A spokesperson for police in Munich described the incident as a “possible terror attack” while speaking to a German radio station.

July 23, 2016 





No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!